Corona Watch

Jo-Mare Duddy Booysen
Africa

African airlines have lost US$4.4 billion in lost revenues as of March 11 due to the coronavirus outbreak, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) said yesterday as carriers on the continent are scrambling to respond to the economic effects of the outbreak.

"It's a challenging time for all of us, especially for the aviation industry," said Muhammad Ali Albakri, IATA's regional vice president for Africa and the Middle East. – Nampa/Reuters

South Africa

South Africa's transport minister Fikile Mbalula said on Wednesday that the country had imposed a "total ban" on cruise ships from March 18 because of risks associated with the coronavirus outbreak.

"No passenger vessels will be allowed in our ports. In essence, there is a total ban on cruise ships," Mbalula told a news conference, adding that the ban would not affect cargo ships arriving in South African ports. – Nampa/Reuters

Senegal

Senegal's legion of small shopkeepers are facing a ban on selling bread over concerns that the trade is unhygenic and could propagate the coronavirus.

The measure would have a considerable impact in the West African country, where about 75% of the population buy baguettes in small neighbourhood shops, according to the National Bakeries' Federation.

The government first announced a ban on such sales in small shops in December - well before the coronavirus hit Senegal - although the law was not enforced.

On Tuesday, the commerce ministry said on Twitter that it would enforce the ban "to limit the spread of the epidemic," referring to the coronavirus. – Nampa/AFP

Nigeria

Nigeria's central bank will inject 1 trillion naira (US$3.27 billion) into local manufacturing and import substitution to stimulate the economy, it said in a statement on Wednesday.

The bank is also offering 100 billion naira in loans to the health sector, as Africa's most populous country announced its eighth confirmed coronavirus case on Wednesday.

Earlier this week the central bank said it would create a 50 billion naira fund to combat the impact of the coronavirus outbreak on the country. – Nampa/Reuters

Egypt

Egypt will shut all cafes, malls, sporting clubs and nightclubs from 7:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. local time, starting yesterday, until March 31 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, the government said in a statement.

The government said supermarkets and pharmacies were exempt for the closure. The country has so far registered 210 cases of the new respiratory disease, including 6 deaths. – Nampa/Reuters

Kommentaar

Republikein 2025-04-03

Geen kommentaar is op hierdie artikel gelaat nie

Meld asseblief aan om kommentaar te lewer