Support needed for feeding programmes

ADOL KAURE
Adolf Kaure

School feeding programmes still have many obstacles which hamper the ability of schools in the Erongo region to effectively feed its learners.

These were the sentiments of the education inspector in the Walvis Bay and Swakopmund circuit , Ms Monica Gawises, when she spoke at the launch of a feeding facility last week Friday at the Swakopmund Primary School’s premises.

“We still have schools without eating and cooking shelters. Members of the community are still in the dark about the ownership of the programme. Beneficiary schools are still finding it hard to cope with the high demand for meals at schools by learners and are confronted with the unwillingness of the cooks who are supposed to volunteer on behalf of the community without remuneration,” said Gawises.

The Lions club and Flexi Trade contributed by providing meat and vegetables to the school, while Build it Swakopmund helped to refurbish one of the school’s garages into a cafeteria for the learners to eat in.

Gawises called on more community members to make efforts towards acquiring sufficient non-food items and to erect necessary shelters for schools.

“All these efforts by the sponsors have made life easier for the learners. The battle is only half won,” said Gawises.

More than 60 learners make use of the facility daily since its induction on June 30 earlier this year.

The school’s principal, MEbenester Tjomuinjo, expressed his gratitude to the sponsors for their contributions.

“We cannot thank you enough for your selfless sacrifice. We always depend on our parents and sponsors for the running of the school,” Tjomuinjo said.

The Namibia school feeding programme was launched in 1991 by the ministry of education, sports and culture in response to the educational and nutritional needs of over 45 000 drought affected children nationwide at that time.

Kommentaar

Republikein 2025-04-06

Geen kommentaar is op hierdie artikel gelaat nie

Meld asseblief aan om kommentaar te lewer